Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have so many scientific developments and new methods emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast method to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by expensive advertisements about a particular laser. Pick the physician, not the laser.
3. Choose a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician does not understand can hurt you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your doctor will not inform you, find another one.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be look at these guys decontaminated before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are not worth the risk of receiving less than skilled care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide much better index vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for a lot of individuals, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the world.